5 Proven Tips to Avoid Exam Stress
Whether you prepared early or not, that doesn’t guarantee that you won’t feel any pre exam stress, because even those who studied diligently everyday still go through a lot of stress and drama during examination periods.
Stress is an integral part of taking exams; in fact it’s something everyone has to deal with in life. But that doesn’t mean that we should let stress rule our lives. So how do you fight stress? Use these tips from one of my friends, who once worked as a tutor for seniors taking college admission tests.
Tried and Tested tips to Fight Exam Stress
- Avoid whiners, complainers and pessimists. In short, avoid anyone who might influence you with their negativity. Exam stress is very contagious, you know. When you’re preparing for the exams, try to avoid study sessions with people who tend to freak out or complain about all the work and revisions they have to do. What you should do is choose study partners who are optimistic and responsible. You should also allot solitary study sessions for times when you really need quiet time to concentrate in a hard subject.
- Know your weakness. Understanding what makes you stressed, irritated or bored will help you avoid exam stress. It will also help you devise a study plan that has effective strategies, which will help you fight your tendency to give up or complain- especially when it comes to revising for Math exams. Try to evaluate yourself during your first week of exam preparations. Asking yourself these questions will help:
- What topics do I get bored in?
- What time of the day am I least productive?
- What makes me distracted?
- Say “No” to people who unnecessarily take your time. If your friends ask you to hang out, go out for coffee or attend a party, say “No”. You have the right to be selfish of your time, even just for a day. Besides, there are plenty of times to hang out and celebrate after the exam.
- Do what works for you. Some people work well with plain old memorization, others work by relating ideas or lessons into images or acronyms. Whatever works for you, do it. Don’t confine yourself to what others are doing to study. And don’t be afraid to experiment with new study techniques as well. As weird or unusual this sounds, one of my friends study at the crack of dawn, exactly after his alarm clock chimes at 4:30 AM. And he doesn’t even wash his face, or drink coffee before hitting the books. He just wakes up, gets his books and starts to read!
- Don’t keep things to yourself. Exam stress is normal and you’ve got nothing to be ashamed of if you experience difficulties while preparing for an exam. And this is true, even for professionals who have already proven their worth. Whatever your career status or age is, you can talk about your exam stress with someone you trust, or a professional who can give you advice.
With early preparation and these proven tips to fight exam stress, nothing can stop you in acing those exams! Good luck.